Hey guys, Masha here from Masha Plans.
Me not being American doesn’t mean that i don’t celebrate thanksgiving. Ok, I actually don’t celebrate it in the traditional way, but I love everything that helps you to take a moment and be grateful for the wonderful things in your life.
This year I decided I’ll be celebrating by creating a special page in my Bullet Journal. I think I’ll be spending the day with my memory journal creating a collage with all the things I’m grateful for. Be sure to check my memory keeping post if you want to learn how I usually create those.
But for now I just want to create a little quote page, which is probably my favorite page type to create.
There are many amazing quotes out there, and words are generally a powerful tool to remind yourself to be thankful and happy for everything you have in your life.
Plus creating quote pages is always so much fun! And it’s a simple page you can add to your journal as a reminder, or just a filler.
I always end up having an empty page next to my gratitude log, so this is going to be a great way to occupy it.
So let’s pick a quote and turn it into a beautiful lettering piece in your Bullet Journal!
Here are the supplies I used for the quote we will be creating today:
- A5 Archer and Olive journal. The exact pink one I have is sold out already, but this one is a very similar one and currently on sale.
- Transparent cover. I love all the covers Archer and Olive released, but the transparent one is probably my favorite - it allows me to see the journal cover design, but also keeps it safe.
- Acrylograph pens. They are definitely my favorites when it comes to creating quote pages. This time I used the most beautiful colors from Archer and Olive x Plant Based Bride collaboration. Can’t get enough of those!
- Pencil and eraser. Of course don’t forget your basics. I always start all my pages with pencil sketches and that helps so much to avoid mistakes.
If you decide to get any of the supplies from Archer and Olive, be sure to use my code MASHA10 that will give you 10% off (and support me a lot!).
Of course you feel free to use any supplies you want!
I usually like using the same pens as I do for my monthly theme for example. This helps to keep it more coordinated.
CHOOSING A QUOTE
There are so many amazing quotes out there, that it’s really not an easy task to choose just one!
I really feel like I should probably create an entire journal with juist quote pages. To practice my lettering, but also to keep all the gold quotes with me.
Back to gratitude quotes though. Here are a few I really like:
- Start each day with an attitude of gratitude
- Remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for
- The more grateful I am, the more beauty I see
- The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more more these is in life to celebrate
- Grateful for where I’m at, excited for where I’m going
- A grateful heart is a magnet for miracles
- Gratitude makes you fall in love with the life you already have
- If you want to find happiness, find gratitude
- Small seeds of gratitude will produce a harvest of hope
Ok it’s hard to stop but I will. I bet you can find one from these that especially speaks to you. The one I decided to choose is “if you want to find happiness, find gratitude”.
Before we put on big boy pants and go straight to create the page, I feel like it’s important to do some preparations first.
I always start from first - choosing what words are most important and have to be highlighted in some way. In this case I think it’s happiness and gratitude.
Secondly, I spend some time trying out different fonts and word placement for the quote, to see which one I like best.
This step is very important because first of all it helps me to find the style that I think works with this quote.
And secondly - it will help you to put your quote more centered on the page.
With acrylograph pens creating faux calligraphy is probably my favorite thing, so I added this lettering style in this quote as well.
What’s faux calligraphy? Well, that’s basically a way for you to mimic brush lettering without actually doing brush lettering.
Here is how it works - you just write your letters normally, and then add dimension to the parts of your letters that have to have thick strokes.
It’s pretty easy and a great way to have brush lettering in your journal without ever using a brush pen.
Since I’m not sure what exact quote you’ll be choosing here is the entire alphabet in faux calligraphy.
Ok I think we are ready now to go for it and create the quote!
CREATING QUOTE PAGE
The most exciting part is of course creating the final project.
Here are a few tips for you:
- Find the center of your journal page. This will help you figure out how to place your quote to make it centered.
- Use embellishment to fill out empty space. If your quote ends up not being centered or you see some empty spaces - just use embellishments and other filler elements to fill it out.
- Start with a pencil. Always - it will make sure your letters look exactly like you want them to, and the entire quote is placed properly.
- Layer the color. After you outline all your letters and erase the pencil, be sure to go over it with your acrylograph pens again. This will give you brighter color and help to cover any pencil leftovers you have.
Ok, time to reveal the final work.
I want to note that I kind of failed here with making the words I chose to stand out - I kind of chose the wrong color and now the words find stand out too much.
Keep Bullet Journaling and Don’t Be A Blob!