Defining your 2020 Word of the year and what you should do with it
When you sit down and have a think about what you want to achieve over the next year - 2020 - it can be an insanely daunting task. But by laser focusing your intention you can be an activity that is easy to do, but gives you focus for the year ahead.
So lets say for example - you go through the activity and your word of the year us “Develop”. Every-time you plan an activity or a goal to achieve, you would keep the word in the back of your mind - “Develop”.
So, Hi! Nicola here from My Inner Creative - and what makes me qualified to talk about goal setting and “words of the year”? Well, I am not just a creative, in fact I also have a business degree, as well as a number of certifications in goal setting, training and workshop facilitation where I actually go through the steps of setting up amazing goals through the year. So yup, I am not just making this stuff up as I go along right!
What is a “word of the year”
So what is a “word of the year”? Simply put, it's a word that guides your intention over the next 12 months. That intention is turned into action through small goals, milestones and the way you set up big tasks and activities throughout the year.
It also serves as a regular affirmation, and a starting block for affirmations throughout your months of the year. Using the same example of “develop”, you may want to add affirmations based on developing skills, behaviors or even capability.
How do I decide a “word of the year”
The million dollar question right! This is where I step in to help. BUT, you may not need help, you may naturally feel drawn towards a specific word that resonates with you, or you have a way to create one. Either way, getting to the word is what you need.
Print out this printable if you are still struggling with your word of the year
So these are my tips for getting to the word:
- Word out what values are most important to you. Is it being financially stable, creative, travelling? There are a number of words that might resonate with you, but one could stand out
- Go through a list of your core values and select 10 - from here whittle it down to your top 3 and from those top 3 chose a word that covers all 3
- If you can’t choose one, perhaps choose 12? One for every month of the year, or one for every ¼ of the year. That way you can focus on different things as your grown in 2020
- If you are still struggling to settle on a word, why not set up your level 10 life and see which words might be speaking to you from the process, it might be growth or change or creativity!
Once I have a word for year, what do I do with it?
Another brilliant question, here are a couple things I personally do with mine to start getting some traction with myself in terms of getting my head into the right head space to make sure my word is the right one.
- Simply grab a dictionary and define the word as the dictionary shows
- Grab a thesaurus and list all the synonyms of the word so that you know what you are focusing on for 2020
- Use the word as an illustration at the front of your notebook or planner
- Use the word often in words, language and your thoughts
- Place the word in your goal setting spreads to ground you in your annual intention
Here are some popular suggestions for #wordoftheyear